Is bronchitis usually viral or bacterial?
The next morning a DO said he wanted to give me a shot of Rocephin, after diagnosing me with bronchitis.
I politely declined. He prescribed me Augmentin. This was Thursday the 11th, so this had been going on for about 10 days. It was last Thursday and I went through the weekend without taking the Augmentin.
My questions. Could this be bacterial? I am not wanting to take this antibiotic, but I also do not want this advancing to pneumonia either. I do have occasional asthma occurrences, but only once in a while---when exposed to cats and dogs.
I asked the DO if there were a way to test the sputum to see if it was in fact bacterial or viral. He said they didn't do that and that the results would take too long to obtain.
I really do not want to take this antibiotic either, as I am reading that almost all cases of bronchitis are viral.
I also do not like coughing out all of this green gunk every morning, and still have low grade fevers at night.
This morning the green phlegm was tinged with a little blood.
Chronic sinusitis with pharyngitis
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
You are having sinus infection. it is usually bacterial infection and antibiotic treatment is required.
You should get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done and send me the picture so that I can suggest you better and prescribe you accordingly. Sinus infection can be managed with medicines but at times intervention may be needed.
Also tell me what medicines have you been taking so far?
Any history of post nasal drip?
Follow up with the required information.
Thanks and regards
There is a reflex called nasopulmonary reflex. Any nasal blockage or congestion will affect the pulmonary function.
You must put a query for a pulmonologist.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diagnosis of post viral bronchitis
- Bronchitis viral or bacterial
- Treatment and cure for viral bronchitis
- Is bronchitis a viral infection
- Viral bronchitis causes
- Viral bronchitis vs bacterial bronchitis
- Acute viral bronchitis causes
- Bacterial vs viral bronchitis symptoms
- Diagnosis of acute viral bronchitis
- Post viral bronchitis causes
- What causes pulsatile tinnitus?
- Suggest treatment for fatigue, mild headache and tightness in the chest
- Suggest remedies for metallic taste in the mouth
- Suggest treatment for breathing difficulty in an asthma patient
- How can a cyst below the tonsil be treated?
- Suggest treatment for mouth ulcers
- What causes blood in sputum when diagnosed with TB?
- Is HIV 4th generation test done three weeks after exposure conclusive?
- Can cerumen cause tinnitus?
- Is inhaling plastic fumes harmful?