Is blood pressure value of 140/90 a cause for concern?

Surumi
Surumi Jabir

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: my BP is 140/90 , age=26 , sex= male ,
can you please guide me a best diet chart which is available in LOCAL KOLKATA( WEST BENGAL ) XXXXXXX market .
also , while you give me the diet chart It will be glad if you can mention all the diet in
a time schedule like at what time i need to do what and what to eat to make my life healthy and fit
Answered by Surumi Jabir 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Required Details

Detailed Answer:

Greetings....

Kindly mention your height, current weight and food habits (veg / non veg / ovo lacto vegetarian) to suggest the suitable diet plan.

Best Regards,
Surumi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Surumi Jabir 31 minutes later
HEIGHT = 5 foot – 10 inches tall.
WEIGHT = 69.5 KG
FOOD HABITS ( VEG + NON VEG BOTH BUT MOSTLY NON-VEG )
Answered by Surumi Jabir 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diet Plan and Nutritional Guidelines to control Blood Pressure

Detailed Answer:
It is important that you keep the sodium intake under check, for keeping the blood pressure under control.

For your convenience, here are some point wise dietary guidelines that may help you in meal planning:

• Restrict the salt Intake- Use spices instead of salt, in cooking and at the table. Flavor foods with herbs, spices, lemon or vinegar. Avoid salty items like chips, pickles, canned and tinned foodstuff, salted butter and cheese, papad.
• Potassium and Magnesium Rich foods like raisins, grapes, banana, dates, apricots, oranges, mangoes, spinach, mushroom, tuna, peas, tomato and whole cereals can reduce your blood pressure naturally. So make them a part of your daily diet..
• Calcium Rich foods: It is recommended to eat foods rich in calcium. Therefore include plenty of greens, nuts, milk and milk products and ragi in your diet.
• Avoid sweets, sweetened foods (eg. Fruit juices with sugar, tea or coffee with plenty of sugar, sugary treats), deep fried foods, foods laden with mayo or other high fat dressings.
• Avoid fried and bakery products. It has lot of hydrogenated fats, which is not considered as good fats and also affects heart health. Most of the bakery products contain high amounts of sodium. So avoid that as well.
• Always read the labels of the pre packed foods to get an idea about its salt / sodium content.

You may observe the following points to help you in managing the weight:

• Reduce the calorie intake: Foods rich in fat or sugar and the refined foods like refined wheat flour, provides more calories. It is advisable to limit the intake of these foods in the diet. You can start with a simple practice of avoiding sugar in your beverages like, tea and coffee, replacing the white bread slices with whole wheat breads.
• Choose the fat wisely: The saturated fats like ghee, vanaspathi, cream and butter do not qualify to be a part of your weight reduction diet plan. Vegetable oils are much safer when taken in controlled quantities. Limit the oil intake and completely avoid taking the deep or shallow fried foods.
• Include fiber sources in your diet: Fibers are the insoluble parts of the plant food sources. Since they are not digested in our gut, they remain to be there for longer time and do not make us feel hungry. The fiber rich foods like beans, green leafy vegetables, whole grains and cereals, fruits and vegetables are found to be helpful in losing weight.
• Stay Hydrated: Drink water and other drinks like sugar free lemon juice and clear soups to keep the body hydrated.
• Limit the intake of sugar, cream, cakes, chocolates, candies, sweets and restrict rice intake to once per day, preferably for lunch.
• Divide your meals into smaller but frequent portions. And start the meals with raw salads, clear soups or even a glass of plain water.
• Choose the low fat dairy products. Include low fat curd in daily diet.
If you eat non – vegetarian foods, stick to leaner options of fish and chicken and avoid egg yolk. Red meat and organ meats are also not suggested.
• Include antioxidants in your diet. A liberal intake of fresh fruits and vegetables would provide its sufficient quantities. Also include green tea in your daily routine as this helps in boosting the metabolism.
• Exercises are also equally important, not only for weight management but it also improves metabolism. Get involved in activities like playing badminton, cycling, swimming, brisk walk etc. This would save your activity routine from becoming monotonous.

Here is a sample Diet Plan for you:

Early Morning (On waking up):
Lukewarm water with lemon and honey – 1 Glass
Presoaked almonds – 4 no. / Roasted pistachio – 4 no. / Roasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds – 1 Tbsp.

Breakfast:
Non fried preparations like:
Whole wheat bread– 2 slices + egg white burji – 1 katori / Vegetable poha/ Dalia/ Sevian/ upma with peas - 1 cup / Idli 3 pc. With Sāmbhar – ¾ cup / Chapatie 2 no. with seasonal vegetable preparation - 1 katori / Cornflakes with skimmed milk (less sugar) – 1 cup + Boiled egg whites - 2 / Stuffed vegetable chapatti (2 no.) with green chutney – 1 tbsp. / boiled black channa or steamed sprouts – ¾ cup with 1 slice wheat bread toast.
+ Skimmed milk – 1glass

Mid-Morning:
Fruit - 1 number (In case of cut fruits take ¾ cup)

Lunch:
6” dry chapatti - 3 no / Rice – 1 ¼ cup / 6” dry chapathi – 2 + Rice – ½ cup
Seasonal vegetable preparation – 1 katori
Dal or non-veg – 1 katori
Salad – 1 katori
1 glass thin skimmed butter milk or 1 katori skimmed curd.
(Non-veg intake should be limited to chicken, fish and egg whites. The method of preparation is also important and it is best to avoid the deep fried or otherwise oily and fatty preparations.)

Evening Snacks:
Green Tea (sugarless) – 1 Glass
Boiled black channa/ rajmah / dry peas/ sprouts with chopped onion, tomato, lemon, green chilies and salt – ½ cup
OR
Vegetable wheat bread low fat paneer or egg white sandwich – 1 no / Boiled corn – ½ cup / Roasted moong dal or channa – ½ cup / low fat paneer vegetable roll - 1

Dinner:
6” dry chapatti - 2 no
Seasonal vegetable preparation or Dal– ¾ cup
Salad – 1 katori
OR
Veg XXXXXXX / poha/ upma / Bajra khichri etc – 1 Cup + Skimmed curd – 1 katori + salad – 1 katori
Start your meals with salads and buttermilk, and stop eating when you are just full.

Bed time:
Skimmed milk (sugarless) – 1 Glass

Hope this satisfies your query.

Surumi.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Surumi Jabir 17 minutes later
thanks .. just having few question:
1.Mid-Morning:
WHAT FRUITS I NEED TO AVOID? AND WHAT IS BEST TO HAVE?

Answered by Surumi Jabir 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Choice of fruits

Detailed Answer:
Thanks For the reply.

Since your BMI is in the normal range, you may take all varieties of fruits in the suggested quantities (please refer previous reply). It can be changed or shuffled according to availability and your choice. Each fruit have different nutrient composition, so maintain variety.

Surumi.