Is blood in urine a cause for concern?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: I am passing blood while urinating. This was not too noticeable at first (about 2-3 weeks ago). Thought my urine was darker due to lack of water. But today I realized the urine is clearly tainted with blood. The color is red. I do not have pain while urinating and feel perfectly ok.

Shall I go to emergency room or make an appointment for next week?

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

Thanks. I am still menstruating, so it might be that. I did not eat any red colored processed food and try to drink more water than usual.

Will go to the hospital tomorrow morning.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go to the hospital

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.
I always recommend going to the hospital.
The doctors can examine you and make sure that you have no problem in a better way than we can on the online forum.
However, if there is a problem, I would suggest the following tests-
1. Urine routine
2. USG abdomen.
3. Porphyria test.
4. FBS.
You can let me know the reports. I will try to help you further from there.
A few things-
a. Are you still menstruating? because if you are, sometimes that blood is mixed in urine and you feel there is blood in urine while there is none. In fact sometimes in early menopause, there is no pain or bleeding as before- just mild bleeding which stains the urine causing pain.
b. sometimes food articles stain the urine. The red XXXXXXX of food, especially processed food, turns up in urine and confuses you about hematuria (blood in urine).
c. dehydration, as you said correctly, can produce such a dark urine that you feel there is red urine.
So try to make sure there is none of these- because these are natural things and need not concern you.
I have tried to make it simple. Please feel free to contact us for more information.
Please click on THANKS.
Dr Mittal

Brief Answer:
Thanks for response

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your response.
If its due to menstruation, you need not worry.
It should stop as soon as menstruation stops.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T