Is an enlarged iliac lymph node due to bacterial infection in the stomach?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: My daughter had a CT scan last night due to a MVC and all seems normal but they did find that she had a mildly enlarged left external iliac lymph node, measuring by 1.3 cm. They said that it is suggested I follow up with PCP to get a CT abdomen and pelvis with contrast. What are your thoughts? She recently had a bad bacterial infection in her stomach that ended up with a Urgent Care Center putting her on IV because she was so dehydrated....could this be the cause or could there be something more. How quickly should we ack on this?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Isolated enlarged iliac nodes is not a very significant finding.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to Healthcaremagic,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

Isolated mildly enlarged iliac node is not a very significant finding.
Generally it is due to infection.Lymph nodes are enlarged as these are the draining sites of infected area.
It may be due to recent bacterial infection of stomach.

These nodes are generally get resolved with time.
I don't think she need follow up CT scan(as it may cause radiation hazard) due to this finding.Ultrasound may be done during follow up.

In short,this is not a very significant finding.CT scan may be avoided during follow up.

Get well soon.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr. Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng