Is amitriptyline safe medicine for polymyalgia? What are the affect of alcohol?
the worst pain in my legs is down my shins . is this indicative of polymyalgia?
Thanks for the query.
I am Dr. Prasad, a physician associated with well known neurologist out here. I see you have posted this query to a rheumatologist. As your query is left unattended for quite sometime (which is a rare occurrence on this forum) and as amitriptyline is constantly used in the treatment of neuralgia, I shall take this opportunity to answer on behalf of the experts.
1. Yes, amitriptyline works very well with all neuralgia and polymyalgia. It isn't a pain killer by it self; it works by modifying the perception of pain. You will need to try the drug for a few days to see the effectiveness for yourself.
2. Alcohol in moderation does not significantly affect the condition. However in presence of a liver disease it can adversely affect the way your medications behave. Therefore keep alcohol under moderation.
3. Polymyalgia can present with pain throughout the body.
Hope you are satisfied with my answers. Let me know if you need clarifications.
PS: I had a curbside consult with my fellow rheumatologist.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are side affects of high blood pressure medicine
- Amitriptyline 25mg medicine
- What is the safe medicine to get my period
- Udiliv 300 medicine what are the side effects of this medicine
- Is it safe to have medicines while consuming alcohol
- What sinus medicine is safe with vyvanse
- What medicines spike alcohol in the blood
- Diabetic taking prescribed medicine are these medicine safe
- Has added trileptal medicine with current medicine is it safe
- What could be the safe sex medicine after angioplasty