• question-icon

Is alpha lipoic acid found in the injection form?

Posted on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 in Diabetes
Question: is alpha-lipoic-acid found as an injectable? If it is what doctor in Maui Hi. perscribes it? I have periphial neuropathy and heard this might help with the extreme pain.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About diabetic neuropathy;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
Current evidence indicates that alpha lipoic acid (ALA) may have a role in improving insulin sensitivity in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus as well as improving symptoms in patients with diabetic neuropathy.
A meta-analysis of 4 trials using intravenous ALA daily for 3 weeks reports that ALA is associated with a significant improvement in total symptoms scores including pain, burning, and numbness and neuropathic impairment scores including pin-prick sensation, touch-pressure sensation, and ankle reflexes.
It is not confirmed yet that the intravenous form (injections) is more efficient than oral tablets.
There are studies that confirm the same efficacy with 600 mg ALA given oral compared to 600 mg IV.
So, if injections form are not available at your country, you may increase the dose of oral tablets up to 600 mg for an optimal efficacy.
You need to discuss with your treating physician (endocrinologist ) to prescribe it.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist