Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Is a raised vein like area on the penis a cause for concern?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2797 Questions
I have a raised area, looks like a vein, soft and squishy, near the head on the right side but just below the head. No pain associated with it as far as touching the area and urination is fine. Can achieve erections. Raised area is mostly same color as the rest of the skin and is not red. Is this something to worry about?

I can send some carefully cropped photos. Area is not hard like a knot or callus or anything. Can feel and see it when flaccid.

I had searched and found lymphangiosclerosis. I thought that might be it.

Also I am on Eliquis if that is relevant.
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I have been watching your posted question for an hour to see if a urologist might pick it up, but as none have, I will offer my thoughts on this.

While it may be lymphangiosclerosis, that usually makes the veins look whitish rather than blue. I think it is more likely to be varicose veins (like you might see in legs) and may be caused by a small blood clot in superficial veins. If you look up medical problems you can look up thrombosis (clot) of the dorsal vein of the penis which may be another possibility. If varicosities due to a small blood clot is the case, treatments include sclerotherapy or laser therapy.

I recommend visiting a urologist and if that doesn't provide answers (and treatment) then a vascular surgeon/plastic surgeon. Or you can go directly to a vascular surgeon if you want to have it addressed.

You can also repost your question here only for a urologist only, but in the end you should go in to have it looked at in person.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is a raised vein like area on the penis a cause for concern? 6 hours later
I do have varicose veins on my legs and have seen a vein specialist for it. So far the treatment for that has been pressure hose.

I had a bout of atrial fibrillation in May and have been on Eliquis for that.

I will look up what you suggest. Is that a threat, thrombosis?

I made an appointment with a urologist but it isn't until January 8. There is no pain associated with it still. Is that ok to wait until then?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Informaiton and a question

Detailed Answer:
Regarding whether it is a threat, the size of the clot and that it is in a superficial vein, is not dangerous in terms of "throwing" a piece of it to your heart or brain, like a deep vein thrombosis. Also, being on Eliquis is helpful.

If you already have a vein specialist, you may want to see him/her first.

How long have you had the swelling? When did it start? Has it been getting progressively more swollen?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is a raised vein like area on the penis a cause for concern? 7 minutes later
The vein specialist said they only deal with legs, referred me back to the gp.

I don't want the penis to be damaged, is there a risk?

I noticed it around Christmas Eve. Some days it appears more swollen than others. I looked at it today, about the same in terms of size, coloration, and lack of pain.

The gp was out, heard thrombosis and suggested an ultrasound, but i didnt speak to the doctor.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
An ultrasound would not hurt if you can arrange for it now and get the ball rolling.

Here are articles on this. You will have to copy and paste them into your search bar to see them:

This isn't that common, and I think it would be reasonable for you to go into the ER rather than wait until January 8. If you live anywhere near a university hospital, I would advise going there as they would have access to the kind of radiology (ultrasound in the radiology dept. or bedside ultrasound) that you would need. So I suggest going in and not waiting.

If you are willing, please let me know how you are doing after you have gone in.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is a raised vein like area on the penis a cause for concern? 6 hours later
I did got to the ER. They didn't quite seem to know what it was, but said it was definitely not a blood clot issue or any sort of thrombosis. They didn't recommend doing anything other than maybe soaking, a compress, and of course following up with the urologist on January 8. It not being red, not being painful, or really any color other than mostly white were all apparently good things. They did say get it checked out but saw no need to treat it as an emergency or life or organ threatening.

They did not do an ultrasound but saw no reason to and said the urologist will decide if that is necessary. The urologist there didn't come see me directly but the ER doctor talked to him and said it was fine to go home and wait to see the urologist on January 8.

Thanks for the information and advice!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Glad you went in

Detailed Answer:
I'm glad you did go in as having it examined in person makes a difference for something like this. Also glad that the ER doctor discussed what he/she saw with a urologist.

Treat the area gently until you see the urologist on the 8th, and if there are any major changes call the urologist and see if he can get you in sooner.

Best regards,
B. Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor