Is a hard lump on right of occipital bone a symptom of cancer?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Lump
Question: i have a hard lump on the bottom of my right occipital bone an inch or two behind the ear, on the outside of the skull, near the bottom. is it possibly something serious like cancer?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lymph nodes

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that you have a lump behind your ear. More than likely this is a lymph node. Lymph nodes occur just behind the ear and sometimes get bigger when you have scalp irritation or infection. This is where white blood cells are made to help fight infection. This is completely normal and benign. Though without actually seeing and feeling the lump I can't be sure exactly what it is. I do recommend that you see your medical provider and have them look at it. they will be more able to give you a diagnosis. But from my experience this is probably a lymph node and not related to any cancerous growths or any significant health concern

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions