Suggest treatment for itchy scalp

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 21 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I have scalp problems Itching dry scalp that makes hard scabs (no redness)
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try shampoo medicated with Tar.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry that you are having this problem.

I see that you have tried Head and Shoulders and Selson Blue, which would be the first thing I would recommend. Next I would recommend a shampoo medicated with Tar. You can find shampoos like this at most pharmacies and they are sold over the counter. Look for ones that say they contain coal tar. If you have light hair, there is some risk of discoloring it slightly with this.

If the tar shampoo doesn't work adequately after several washes, you can either try non-prescription strength Nizoral shampoo (over the counter is 1%) or ask your doctor if he/she thinks prescription strength Nizoral 2% shampoo would be appropriate. At that point you should probably see your doctor for an evaluation of what is going on with your scalp.

If you XXXXXXX your hair, sometimes that causes scalp irritation and you might want to consider taking a break from it.

I hope this information helps.