• question-icon

Is a 4cm tumour in a colonoscopy report a concern?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My mum had a colonoscopy which has shown a 4cm tumour. The doctor could feel it with his finger so I am not actually sure where the tumor is situated they said this tumor could be cancerous. Mum has to have a CT and MRI scan next week. He said the tumor is only small but it sounds big to me. He has done biopsies but we have no results yet. We get all results next Wednesday I am worried sick my mum has cancer. Can this tumor be benign or do you think it is malignancy? The symptoms mum has had are occasional blood in stools for 12 months and she is tired other than that she is fine. Please help me I am in complete bits and an absolute nervous wreck. If this is cancer can it be treated or do you think there are still chances it could be benign? Its with them saying suspicious for cancer it has really worried me. Mum is very optimistic and is really strong but me well thats another story.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy can only make things clear.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking,
I read your question and i understand your concerns.As per the narration appears to be case of Rectal or anal carcinoma(As doctor can palpate it by finger).

Please answer the following questions.
Bleeding from the anal area of and on along with Pain or pressure in the anal area with a change in bowel habits or change in the diameter of the stool are often signs of mailgnant mass.

However whether its malignant or benign can only be confirmmed by reports of biopsy. Even a oncologist can't tell you just by seeing tumour without biopsy reprt that its malignant or benign.

However in general-
Risk of malignancy and risk of high grade tumors increases with tumor size. Patients with small anal or rectal masses have a low risk for harboring a high-grade malignancy but as already said without biopsy no one can be sure.

Yes even if its cancer it can be benign and don't worry even if its malignant we can easily treat it with excellent prognostic results.

Be strong have faith in god.
However to contro you anxiety you can take some natural anti anxiety medications like Casein for few days.

Wish your mothe a great luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 6 minutes later
Thank you so much they did the actual bowel and all surrounding area looked very healthy in fact they said a beautiful bowel. So the prognosis for my mum can still have a good outcome. I love my mum with all my heart and all I am doing is crying x
Answered by Dr. Sunil 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi , XXXXXXX

I can very well understand your agony at this point of time and your mother is really lucky to have a kid like you but this is a time when you have to be strong.You should inspire your mother and keep her motivated.
As per history given by you it can also be a polyp.
But i am sorry dear without report of biopsy even the best oncologist can't gaurantee any thing.
I am sorry.
"The power of God is with you at all times; through the activities of mind, senses, breathing, and emotions; and is constantly doing all the work using you as a mere instrument."
Have faith in him and just pray.

Follow up: Dr. Sunil 10 minutes later
Thank you is 4cm small tumor seems big to me
Answered by Dr. Sunil 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hey there.
tumor size isn't necessarily indicative of whether anything has spread, or is likely to spread - there are many factors that can affect that. However tumour less then 5 cm in general are benign.

Thanks!
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 11 minutes later
Oh you have made my day that's music to my ears thank you
Answered by Dr. Sunil 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Good luck my friend.
Would pray for her.
Please do inform me her biopsy reports.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 14 hours later
Mum has had no bleeding for a week is this good signs? If it was malignant would she bleed each time she went to toilet?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up to your question.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Its a good sign that mom is not bleeding frequently.Suggestive of the mass to be benign in nature.
Malignant masses are associated with high bleeding risks.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist