Is Psyllium advisable for a child with constipation?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Can I give psylium husks to a three year old with constipation?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psyllium is not recommended

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Psyllium is not recommended for children under the age of 6 as its safety and efficacy in that age group is not established.

Fluids deficit is a common cause of hard stool and constipation. Give plenty of fluids and add high fiber diet such as green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits. Lactulose syrup can be given alongside gastro kinetic agent like domeperidone. If the constipation is severe then dulcolax suppositories can be considered.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any medication or further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil