Is HIV transmission possible after accidental piercing of foot by an earring?

Dr. Sonia Raina

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I stepped on an earring at the bottom of a chlorinated pool it pierced my foot and I bled is there an hiv risk?
Answered by Dr. Sonia Raina 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry, no risk of HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hello, greetings! Thanks for posting your query on hcm. I understand your concern about suffering an open wound in a pool. Let me assure you that you don't have any risk of HIV infection. HIV, caused by human immunodeficiency virus is very fragile outside human body and cannot survive in water.

The ways in which HIV transmission can take place are:-
1. Unprotected sexual contact
2. Sharing same needles with a HIV infected person
3. Mother to child transmission
4. Infected blood/blood products transmission.

Thus, you are free of any risk towards HIV. However, I recommend that you get a tetanus shot if you haven't had one in the past 6 months along with a dose of antibiotics to prevent any other infection from getting into the wound. Please consult a local general physician so that he can prescribe you a course of antibiotics.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further doubts, please feel free to ask me. Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sonia Raina 5 hours later
It completely pierced my foot and I had to pull it out
Answered by Dr. Sonia Raina 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
no risk of HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hello, greetings! Even though the needle may have pierced you completely, you have no risk of being infected with HIV. Don't worry about it. As I recommended earlier, you can get a tetanus shot and antibiotics. Hope I have answered all your queries. If you have any doubts you can ask me, or you can close this question and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T