Is HIV test done post 43 days of exposure conclusive?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor, This is a follow up question.

I had open mouth kissing for < 5 secs ( no cuts/sores/blood exchange in both), touched only external dry surface of her vagina for < 5 secs , washed my hands with plenty of hot water, soap and sanitizer twice immediately.

But scrapped my tongue with my finger nails after washing hands. No blood seen on my tongue. Went back after few days to same strip club and spoke to same stripper - she claimed that she is hiv negative ( tested an year back), on birth control since 8 months and I checked her mouth it was free from any diseases.

You had mentioned my activity for hiv contraction as very low / negligible / nil.

I have so far taken following tests :

At 15.5 days - [ TEST : APTIMA HIV-1 RNA Qualitative Assay, an in vitro nucleic acid assay system ] - [ RESULTS - negative].

At 32 days - [ TEST : HIV -1/O/2) Antigen / Antibody (Fourth Generation) Preliminary Test with cascade reflex to supplemental testing ) - [RESULTS : non-reactive].

At 43 days(6 weeks) - Took same tests again together - Results ::

[ TEST : APTIMA HIV-1 RNA Qualitative Assay, an in vitro nucleic acid assay system ] - [ RESULTS - negative].

[ TEST : HIV -1/O/2) Antigen / Antibody (Fourth Generation) Preliminary Test with cascade reflex to supplemental testing ) - [RESULTS : non-reactive].

Doctor, can you please let me know if I consider take these results as conclusive ?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Conclusive that you are free from HIV from the episode.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for follow up query. I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
Welcome back to health care magic. I have gone through the details.

The modes described by you is not a risk for transmission of HIV.So the risk is nil as there is no source of HIV.Moreover she is negative. There is no chance of transmission.

The tests HIV PCR and duo test results are negative .With the given description and test results I would rate it as conclusive results. You are free from HIV from that episode.
You can allay fears of HIV.
I do not see the need for any further HIV tests.

You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Dermatologist and venereolgist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak