Owl Image

Is HEP A contagious? Treatment to get rid from HEP A?

Owl Image
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Question
Hello, 24 years ago I contacted Hepatits A, Somebody now wants to proform oral/anal sex with me, is this person able to contact HEP A from me or any other boody fluid contact, is HEP A in my blood streem forever, what can be done to rid myself from HEP A ?? Thank you. XXXXXXX
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 35 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

Hepatis A does not cause chronic infection. Within a short period of time, protective antibodies are formed. So after 24 years you would have only the antibodies and not the virus. So you actually do not have any hepatitis A virus in your body to transmit to others.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Is HEP A contagious? Treatment to get rid from HEP A? 12 minutes later
Hello, what level of liver problems can I expect after living with HEP A for 24 years, I have less and less energy, have high blood pressure and take 40 mg propranolol two times per day. Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 13 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
As mentioned in my earlier post, hepatitis A does not cause chronic liver disease which means the effect of the infection lasts for only a few weeks in the form of hepatitis. The virus will then be eliminated from the body by the antibodies. The virus would not stay in the liver for 24 years.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini