Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Is Glatiramer cause of buildup of sebaceous oil glands? Have MS and spots on upper lip.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 304 Questions

I'm a 39-yr old male and have been extremely frustrated for the past 6-7 years due to progressive discoloration of both areolae. I've had one dermatologist insist that it was vitiligo but two subsequent dermatologists have discarded that diagnosis and have concluded (after biopsy) that it was simply the buildup of sebaceous oil glands. It actually looks similar to spots I have on my upper lip (Fordyce spots I think?). I've previously tried cosmetic tattoos, but the ink faded away after a couple weeks (lending credence to the oil gland diagnosis in my opinion). I've had treatment with some sort of pulse laser which also did nothing. I've attached pictures under my profile...hopefully you are able to access these. I'm at my wits end and would entertain any kind of reasonable cosmetic option short of major surgery.

One other note. I have a very mild form of MS and take a daily injectable medication called glatiramer acetate...not sure if that could be the cause of the problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Much thanks
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 19 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Going by the pictures sent by you, the first differential diagnosis that comes to mind is Vitiligo but as that has been ruled out by biopsy it’s very unlikely but still I would request you to get the biopsy examined once again.

Sebaceous hyperplasia is found in areolar area and is nothing abnormal. The change of color in the skin of areola has nothing to do with sebaceous hyperplasia and is due to the damage of melanocytes in epidermis.

A rare condition that might show such a picture like this is collection of fat droplets - xanthelasma and can be attributed to sebum glands. Biopsy alone can give the best answer in your case and should be evaluated by a competent Dermato-pathologist.

I might have not given you a conclusive answer but that’s the best one can comment by the pictures uploaded.


Dr. Rohit Batra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor