Owl Image

Is Celebrex safe to use while allergic to sulfa drugs?

Question
can a patient that is allergic to sulfa drugs use celebrex
Sat, 17 Mar 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:

celecoxib does have some chemical parts in common with sulfa drugs so in theory there are some risk. Current data are conflicting though and there is not enough evidence that an allergic reaction will occur for non-antibacterials. Just keep in mind that you never know whether an allergic reaction will occur until you take the drug. The same applies even if you've uneventfully taken the drug in the past.
Also have a look at this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/0000
This article concludes with "there is no documentation for cross-reactivity between sulfonamide antimicrobials and other sulfonamide medications, such as celecoxib".

So it seems to be safe to use celecoxib and your doctor seems to agree with that. If you had a very serious reaction though (like allergic shock) then I would have looked for alternatives. Current literature seems to clear non-antibacterials regarding cross-reactivity with anti-bacterials but since this drug can be substituted why take the risk?

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!