Is CABG the best treatment for coronary heart disease?
CABG is the best solution in this case
Your uncle suffers coronary heart disease and has blockage and narrowing in almost every vessel supplying the heart.
Here we could have 2 cases:
1. continue with conventional therapy. In this case he will continue to take his treatment, but there is danger of another myocardial infarction which can be fatal for him
2. CABG. In this case he will undergo surgery, during which they will put grafts from the aorta, which is the largest artery, to the heart vessels(coronary arteries) skipping the narrowed and blocked parts. So his heart will get better blood supply, possibility of another myocardial infarction will be very little.
If he would my patient I would advise him to undergo CABG as soon as possible to be in safer side.
Hope I could help you.
In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask.
Can you advice me within what time frame (in Days/weeks) we have to perform CABG to be risk free and what is usually the success rate of this procedure. It would be highly appreciable if you could guide me on the below questions also.
(1) After CABG, how long it will take to fully recover from any pain
(2) After CABG, is it possible for the patient to do any kind of strenuous/hard work
(3) After CABG, what is the followup duration and do these grafts has to be repaired after some time.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Usually CABG outcomes are good
Concerning the time frame if the patient is stable it can be performed during one month.
1. as you know every surgery can has complications. If there will be no complication he will recover from pains during 2-4 weeks.
2. physical activity after surgery will depend on his heart failure , he will start to do physical activity after some time and if he will be doing fine he can increase physical activity gradually.
3. if patient follows healthy lifestyle and take medication grafts can be patent for years, it also depends from individual organism
You should not worry, try to follow your doctor's instructions.
Wish good health to your uncle.
Many Many thanks for your reply.
I just want to know one more thing that whether his reports is showing any VALVE LEAKAGE (REGURGITATION), if yes, then what is the treatment applicable for the same.
(1) Whether it will be treated on the operation table during bypass.
(2) If it can be recovered by medicines.
(3) What can be a later complication due to the same.
Mild regurgitation and medical management
Yes, your reports show mild regurgitation of Mitral, Pulmonary and Tricuspid valve). Usually this mild regurgitating does not require any treatment unless they cause significant symptoms. These can be managed by medical treatment for long term until it may cause any significant symptoms.
If doctor want to do surgery then they will do valve repair and replacement in emergency situations like heart failure.
If it is managed with medical management, most of the time it will not cause any complication.
In your case follow ups with doctor is important.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ecstasy coronary heart disease
- Coronary heart disease and stroke
- Treatment and cure for coronary heart disease
- Impacts of coronary heart disease
- Coronary heart disease causes
- Coronary heart disease and depression
- Symptoms of coronary heart disease
- Coronary heart disease rates
- Obesity and coronary heart disease
- Coronary heart disease diabetes
- What does borderline right axis deviation and anteroseptal infarct...
- Should i stop Diltiazem inspite of its side effects?
- What does my NMR test report mean?
- Can gout cause high blood pressure?
- What causes fuzzy feeling in head with high heart rate and low BP?
- What causes muscle cramps in legs inspite of having metoprolol?
- Suggest treatment for left atrial enlargement
- Does myocardial stunning and hibernation cause harm to one's heart?
- Suggest treatment for high blood pressure with history of heart attack
- Suggest remedy for pain in chest