Is Arthritis plus effective in treating osteoarthritis?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hi, my mother age 58 years having osteoarthritis problem for last 10 years and taken a lot of injection and medicine but no effect and a lot of pain in knees and joints. My mother watched a program of dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX drgwellness and he suggested Arthritis plus and sojee spary supplements. And cost is approx 6000 rs per months of these suppliemets. so are these effective and can be taken without any side effects. please guide. My mother does not want any operation.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not get moved by advertisement

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern.You may send her x ray of knee (picture )along with blood reports if done any in your reply.She might be having mutiple joint pain because of rheumatoid arthritis.
My sincere advice is do not get carried away by advertisement, as I have seen patient in my OPD using all these products without any effect.Above all they lack approval by government or any other medical body.
Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 9 minutes later
Thanks a lot Doctor. but she has taken a lot of allopathy and she now does not want to take any allopathy medicines. Could u please give other alternatives to cure for this.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rehabilitation by knee brace and walking stick

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you
I have gone through your reply and my suggestion for her would be-
1. For osteoarthritis, weight reduction is the main treatment. Life style modifications like avoiding sitting cross legged; squatting will decrease the rate of progression of osteoarthritis. Exercises like quadriceps strengthening, straight leg rising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.
2. In addition she may take glucosamine for osteoarthritis, the recommended dose of glucosamine sulphate is 1500mg and chondroitin sulphate is 800-1200mg daily in divides doses. This is usually given for 3 months and then 6 months off after there is symptomatic improvement. This is not a pain killer so additional medicines are required for pain control and optimum joint activity.
3. She may use knee brace especially made for osteoarthritis and walking stick.
4. Alternative medicine like homeopathy may help.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing her good health.