Is Acetaminophen advisable for severe pain after back surgery?

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I just had back surgery (laminectomy S-1) and I now have hydrocodone/acetameminophen 10/325t. I also have some left over from a previous surgery5/500 and a 7.5/325T. I assume the first number is the hydrocodone. Opiods tend to constipate me. After belly button hernia repair 2014 I had to go back in for a nose tube as my systeme didn't move for 2 days. I know one is not to use older medicines, but, theoretically, could I go with a lower dose just by monitoring my pain and go back up if pain gets worse any maybe avoid some opiod side effects? If this borders on 'legal' ground you can't walk on , I understand. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Why not take plain acetaminophen/Tylenol/ Motrin,

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,
Why not take plain acetaminophen/Tylenol/ Motrin, along with Omeprazole, if really needed?
It will be safer and no constipation, since you reacted to oxycodone before it may be better to avoid in any dose.
With rest and acetaminophen, you should be better soon.
And it may be better to tolerate a bit of pain than over medicate leading to problems.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D