• question-icon

Is 24-hour fluid restriction necessary while treating kidney failure?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I had an ultrasound of my kidneys earlier today. The result was that I lost the function of one kidney. I am now on a fluid restriction of 1800 ml .That converts to about 60oz. Is that for a 24he period? I was on 80 mg of lasix, 5mg of zarolyn and 150 mg hydrazine daily. I am a little confused.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
this is approximately the same amount persons use generally

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, fluid restriction recommendations refer to the amount consumed over a 24 hour period however the amount of fluid mentioned is approximately the amount that a normal person would use.

This is almost 8 glasses of fluid daily which as you may know, is the minimum amount of fluid that people are generally told to use daily.

You may need to clarify the fluid restriction amount with your doctor. If the other kidney is working well and you have no other reasons for fluid restriction (heart failure or liver failure), then this may be accurate but it needs to be clarified (since it is the normal amount of fluid for anyone).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James