Intense pains in legs and have a meniscus injury. Having lower body pains, overweight and unable to eat. What do you recommend?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having the most intense pains in my legs after walking I do have a bad miniscus injury but my whole Lower body pains so much that it reduces me to tears, I am over weight but I can't seem to be able to do anything without being crippled by this pain, if I don't eat it gets worse
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need complete investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

You need proper clinical examination and investigations.
There may be various reasons for pain.
Investigations include routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Urine RE/ME,Ultrasound of abdomen,Thyroid profile,RA factor,Serum calcium level,Vitamin D3 level,X-ray L/S Spine AP/Lateral,MRI of L/S Spine,Further investigations may be done if needed.

Lower backache may be due to lumbar disc prolapse.You need proper examination by neurologist.MRI can detect nerve involvement if any.

You also need MRI knee for meniscus injury.Mild to moderate cases can be treated conservatively whereas severe cases require surgery.
You should try to reduce weight,otherwise it will aggravate knee problem.
Proper treatment can be given after clinical examination and investigation reports.

Hope i have answered your query.
Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
I have had a MRI for my knee and it is that bad they want to replace it sport injuries etc, however the pain in my body is so intense that it consumes me I find myself taking pain meds all the time, I try and live with it but constant pain even while lying down is not fun,
How do you loose weight when exercise is so painful?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
In severe meniscus injury,replacement is done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query

If Meniscus is severely damaged then certainly replacement is the choice.There is no other way.You should seriously think about it and can follow doctor's advice.

In your case,you may loose weight by strict diet regulation.For this,you can consult dietitian. They can give you better schedule.

Hope i have answered your query.
Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX