Infant on neocate for reflux and cma. Blood test showed high CPK level. What are the risk?

Dr. Santosh Kondekar

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 12 month old son has been on neocate from 4 weeks for reflux and cma. He was also on gaviscon amd omeprazole and one point. All now discontinued.
He had bloods done recently 4 months ago, the lfts were deranged mids 149s. He has had these repeated several times and remain elevated. Clotting was slightly raised as was ammonia. Cpk is over 5000. He is a very active baby climbing and walking and very well. He had a pfo at birth but had closed at 9 months. Bronchiolitis at 4 months requiring 02 for 10 days but other than has remained well.
Drs at a loss for reason. Now worrying about cpk
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
CPK should preferably be collected early morning . Any significant activity may cause rise in CPK…
But if it upto 5000… commonly there will be problem with heart or muscle… I would suggest that the test be repeated with a differential CPK Mb.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli