Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Increased SGOT and SGPT levels, negative Hepatitis B and C tests. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12758 Questions
Dear Doc,
I had gone for my routine medical tests which showed and increased level of T - 120SGOT-61 and SGPT-120 I then got my Hepatitus B & C tests done which were negative, Today got a ultrasound done which indicates diffused increase in echogenicity and small focal hypoechoic area in segment five ( 12x11mm) which is a likely focal fat sparring area what should i do pl advise.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

You have mildly raised levels of SGOT and SGPT with focal fat deposition in the liver. These findings are suggestive of fatty liver.

Fatty liver usually happens due to consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle.

You need to restrict your alcohol intake (if you are taking any) and do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily. “Ursodeoxychiloic acid” (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver. I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get it prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor