I went to my family Dr yesterday and had a

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I went to my family Dr yesterday and had a urine and blood test done and the only thing wrong was I had too much protein in,my urine. This morning no have woken with severe lower back pain between my ribs and hips that is constant and sharp. Could it be my kidneys and what should i do? I've been drinking water and cranberry juice all last night through today. Do i return to Dr or is there something i can try at home? My father had kidney disease also.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kidney/Ureteric stones and/ Urinary tract infections need to be ruled out first...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concerns...

Well, given your description, the first thing to rule out will be kidney/ureteric stone, along with any residual urinary tract infection. Although you have got a risk factor as your father had kidney disease, both these conditions can also cause such high levels of protein in the urine. So, they need to be investigated thoroughly at first.

To conclude the diagnosis, a re-evaluation by your family doctor along with a few relevant investigations are necessary (namely a repeat urine routine microscopy but this time along with Urine Culture and Sensitivity assay and an Ultrasound KUB) to look into it further...management can be done based on the findings...

For the pain and discomfort, you can take a relatively safer analgesic such as ACETAMINOPHEN (Tylenol) 500mg and antispasmodic i.e. BUSCOPAN, however, I'd emphasize on meeting your doctor at the earliest.

Please discuss this with your doctor and proceed further...

Avoid too many movements in the meanwhile, please continue drinking plenty of water (around 10cups per day at least) as well as cranberry juice to help to relieve the symptoms to some extent...Avoid irritant foods like too much coffee, tea and carbonated drinks, some acidic fruits i.e. oranges, grapefruits, limes, spicy foods for the time being.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee