question-icon

I have an itchy patch of skin just outside my

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2019
Question: I have an itchy patch of skin just outside my anus. There seems to be pea-sized lump there (which I can sorta feel), but that cannot be seen (ie, no discoloration). I’ve had it for about a week. It is not painful. Is this potentially something serious?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (56 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
possible external fibrosed hemorrhoids

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.

This may indicate fibrosed external hemorrhoid, fibroma or anal fissure.
If this is not painful then this is probably not a fissure.

I suggest to apply heparin ointment, and Preparation H, have 'Sitz' baths and have easier diet to soften your stool.

If there is be enlargement of lump, or it becomes painful, red or you get a fever then an abscess may be present and you should see a proctologist for a surgical procedure. Otherwise, you can try with those recommended measures.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon