I had a head cold and thought it went away.

ENT Specialist
Question
I had a head cold and thought it went away. About two days later I started coughing out yellow phlegm in the morning. Only in the morning and then during the day I was fine. I was also getting it from mu sinuses. I waited one week before going in to see someone. The two nights prior to going in I was running a pretty good fever. The night just prior to seeing a physician, my temperature was 102.5.
The next morning a DO said he wanted to give me a shot of Rocephin, after diagnosing me with bronchitis.
I politely declined. He prescribed me Augmentin. This was Thursday the 11th, so this had been going on for about 10 days. It was last Thursday and I went through the weekend without taking the Augmentin.
My questions. Could this be bacterial? I am not wanting to take this antibiotic, but I also do not want this advancing to pneumonia either. I do have occasional asthma occurrences, but only once in a while---when exposed to cats and dogs.
I asked the DO if there were a way to test the sputum to see if it was in fact bacterial or viral. He said they didn't do that and that the results would take too long to obtain.
I really do not want to take this antibiotic either, as I am reading that almost all cases of bronchitis are viral.
I also do not like coughing out all of this green gunk every morning, and still have low grade fevers at night.
This morning the green phlegm was tinged with a little blood.

Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic sinusitis with pharyngitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
You are having sinus infection. it is usually bacterial infection and antibiotic treatment is required.
You should get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done and send me the picture so that I can suggest you better and prescribe you accordingly. Sinus infection can be managed with medicines but at times intervention may be needed.
Also tell me what medicines have you been taking so far?
Any history of post nasal drip?
Follow up with the required information.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: I had a head cold and thought it went away. 11 minutes later
ok
I am not concerned with the sinus infection. It will go away.

I am concerned about the bronchitis.
Follow-up: I had a head cold and thought it went away. 2 hours later
Can you please put me in touch with a pulmonologist.

Thank You

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
There is a reflex called nasopulmonary reflex. Any nasal blockage or congestion will affect the pulmonary function.
You must put a query for a pulmonologist.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards