I am an epileptic and am under the care of

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am an epileptic and am under the care of a neurologist who prescribes me alprazolam and clonazepam—she cannot see me for two weeks and I am SO OUT. I also take adderall and I am trying to find a doctor online who can see through e-scribe that I take these meds, I am due for them, and kindly prescribe me a two week supply. I am so screwed! And if that doctor is a fan of sleeping, so am I (although my neurologist thinks that after the same small dosage for three years I should knock out at night juuuuuust fine.) A narcotic is not necessary.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome,

I can understand your plight, and you are not the first person to be in this position. The problem is that all of the meds you listed are controlled substances, and in the current climate, there will be no legitimate doctors who will be willing to do this. They would be risking their DEA license and worse for prescribing controlled substances online to a patient they have no history with.

However, there are definitely things you can do:
1. Call your neurologist's office. If he/she is out, there will be a contact number for a neurologist covering for your neurologist's practice. They will prescribe what you have been taking until your own neurologist can see you.

2. If for some extreme reason you can't reach your neurologist or those covering for him or her, contact your primary care physician. Your primary care doctor will know that you have epilepsy and most likely also have a record of what the neurologist has been prescribing. Even if they don't have a record of it, they can call the pharmacy you have been getting these filled from, which will have a record of the dose, etc and renew the prescriptions for 2 weeks.

3. If all else fails, you can go in to an urgent care clinic and explain the situation. They are used to situations like this and will refill your rxs long enough for you to see your neurologist.

I hope this helps, and good luck to you. Don't withdraw suddenly as that will put you at risk of seizures, but take actions as detailed above.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng