question-icon

I am a 60 year old woman from XXXXXXX I

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2018
Question: I am a 60 year old woman from XXXXXXX I live in XXXXXXX I have multiple stones in my gall bladder. Surgeons suggest surgery to remove the gall bladder. I want to know if I can avoid surgery if I change my lifestyle. I am obese and I want to know if doing yoga, which I used to do till a year ago, doing more exercise and reducing weight, stopping eating sweets and ghee( to which I was quite addicted) would help. I got the scan done 9 days ago and since then I start my day with a glass of celery, beetroot, carrot and parsley juice. I am feeling better. the bloating that I used to feel in my right side has reduced. my appetite is variable, some days I am very hungry and some days I have normal appetite. Are there any effective alternative therapies which I can use to either dissolve the stones or to avoid surgery?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Usually needs surgery to avoid complications.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Noted the history well and understood your concerns.
Please post the Scan report to know the sizes of stones, number and status of gall bladder and other related organs.
Per se, multiple gall stones usually need surgery to avoid further complications such as infection of gallbladder, slippage of small stones in to common bile duct causing obstructive jaundice and/or pancreatitis.
The dietary changes, exercises and any such measure have not shown any advantage for gall stone but surely help to have proper fitness for yourself, for anesthesia and surgery.
I hope this answer helps you.
Please give feedback and ask for any further queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

With Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon