How to treat a toe nail injury ?

Posted on Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I recently had a puunch biospy on my big toenail bed. After a nail injury 2 years a go the toenail never grew back properly. About a month a go the nail started to grow off & became very infected. It looked like a pus filled abscess had grwon underneath the nail. I went to a podiatrist & he felt it was either a verruca or squamous cell cancer. I cannot get back to see the doctor for another 3 weeks. Do you think that waiting is a problem. They will not give my biopsy results over the phone.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

I don't consider there is a need to worry here. Both the probable diagnosis your Podiatrist mentioned are known to spread but not to the extent where waiting for 3 to 4 weeks would be a serious risk.

I would ask you to take a good care of the lesion meanwhile, by cleaning it with a antiseptic solution like Cetrimide twice daily.

If there is pus collection again do consult the doctor for the drainage of the same.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Dr. Raju A.T