Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

How to treat Chlamydia and Gonorrhea ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 157 Questions
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 5 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Since you have taken medications for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea , i think there was a confusion regarding the diagnosis.You can go for an Microscopic examination of Discharge and /or the culture and sensitivity of discharge to identify the bacteria.

Both are easily treatable conditions and have to take for prescribed time to get completely cured and have to abstain from sex during the treatment and treating the partner is also important to prevent re- infection.

For Chlamydia :A single dose of Azithromycin or a week of Doxycycline (twice daily) are the most commonly used treatments.Abstain from sexual intercourse for 7 days after single dose antibiotics or until completion of a 7-day course of antibiotics, to prevent spreading the infection to partners.

For Gonorrhea :a single-dose injection of an antibiotic such as ceftriaxone (Rocephin) or a single-dose pill such as cefixime (Suprax) is needed.

Latex male condoms, when used consistently and correctly, can reduce the risk of transmission of chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor