• question-icon

Suggest treatment for shoulder and neck pain along with dizziness

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello I have been having a problem for quite a few years with an inner ear / upper shoulder neck area infection that causes dizziness and if let go to long a clogged ear. The first few times I went to the doctor about it he gave me amoxicillin...this worked well for a couple years...eventually that didn't work anymore and he gave me Zpak which didn't work...then Cipro which didn't work...then SMZ TMP which didn't work...then he gave me amoxicillin/augmentin which worked well for a couple years...eventually that stopped working...then while in Ocean City MD. last summer a doctor gave me a shot of Rocephin which worked and it was gone for a year. Last month it started again and he gave me Doxycycline 8 days ago which seems to be working some but I can tell will not knock it out in the 2 remaining days of the dosage. I have been to an ENT 2 years ago and had polyps removed from my eustachian tube this worked for a while he said I may have to have tubes put in my ears . I haven't been back to him since a couple months after the polyps surgery (I will eventually return). I am going on a vacation in three weeks which I have already paid for and don't want to cancel it to have tubes put in my ears (I'll make an appointment for that when I get back) and also don't want to be miserable with the inner ear thing. I would like to know what would be the next effective antibiotic after the ones I mentioned just to hold me off until I get back from vacation. I have some Ciprodex 0.3-0.1% drops which I was give a while back but have not used (I have a perforated eardrum so the drops will reach my inner ear)...will that work is it worth a try? Should I try Rocephin again? Sorry I'm all over the place with this text...I'd greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks! XXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
Eustachian tube blockage is usually due to nasal pathology. As you said polyps had been removed in the past, it is possible that there might be recurrence.
If nasal procedures don't help, grommet insertion in the tympanic membrane has to be done.
You should take a combination of levocetrizine and phenylepherine twice daily and nasal decongestant drops thrice daily for a week.
Take steam inhalation and chew a gum that will also help decongest the tube.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available at prescription only.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Wish you get well soon.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Thanks Dr. Aggarwal,
I will ask my doctor for the levocetrizine and phenylepherine and I will try the gum and steam inhalation.
In the meantime (I'm going on a 2 week vacation that I've already paid for) I was wondering about an antibiotic to treat the inner ear infection that's causing the dizziness when I roll over in bed or reach up or bend over a certain way. Is there another effective antibiotic I could suggest to my doctor since I've become resistant to the ones I previously mentioned.
Thanks!
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You can take cefixime 200 twice daily and also take tablet stemetil twice daily. If dizziness doesn't improve, take tablet betahistine 8 mg three times a day for a week.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 13 hours later
Thanks Dr. Aggarwal
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I hope my advise proves useful for you.
You are always welcome with any further questions.
Thanks and regards
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist