Owl Image

How to reverse side effects of Ciprofloxacin and promote cellular healing?

Owl Image
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Question
I got Ciprofloxacin to treat a minor ear infection.
Now I have side effects from Cipro since 8 weeks.

My symptoms from the Ciprofloxacin side effects are:
tendonitis/tendinosis, muscle twitching/spasm/pain, neuropathy, tinnitus, headache, etc...
I was a healthy 26 year old athlete before this poison destroyed my body.

What can be done to reverse the damage and to promote cellular healing?

Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that ciprofloxacin is very common antibiotic and these are rare symptoms that you are getting .

First thing is that you need to be patient as the recovery is going to take time . There is no antidote for the drug hence these symptoms will basically heal on their own . There are no recommendations for any treatment but still taking vitamin C is helpful . Have a well balanced diet and avoid any medicine as far as possible . Keep your self hydrated to flush out toxins .

For tendinitis adequate rest and physiotherapy is advisable.

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: How to reverse side effects of Ciprofloxacin and promote cellular healing? 6 minutes later
What about high magnesium supplementation?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

There is no FDA approval for its use in treatment so cannot be recommended in high doses but still a multivitamin tablet along with magnesium supplementation can be considered , there is no harm in trying it at recommended dosage.

Dr. Shruti