What causes constant soreness in the neck and upper back?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 9 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Last weekend, I spent way too much time reading. My neck and upper back became sore. I've done very little reading since then, but the neck and back (around the spinal cord) don't seem to be healing. It feels a lot better when I wake up but gets sore during the day, including when I watch TV. Walking around and not looking down seems to be the only thing that makes it feel better. Is there anything I can do to help it heal (specific exercises perhaps)?
I should mention that I had frozen shoulder from an injury. It's about 90% healed but I developed biceps tendinosis from overuse earlier in the fall. I'm doing physical therapy for that and it's improving. I don't know if this is in any way related to the neck/back issue.
Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cervical spondylosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

This is a feature of chronic cervical spine strain or early cervical spondylosis which is a degenerative condition affecting the spine in the neck.

Avoid bending neck forward or lifting weights.

Avoid using a thick pillow while lying on the bed.

Apply warm packs to the back of the neck and perform neck extension and bilateral trapezius strengthening exercises.

You can take muscle relaxants with combination NSAID like Tablet Diclofenac with Thicolchicoside combination twice a day for 5 days. You should be alright in a week of your follow the above instructions. If not, do get an Xray of the cervical spine to look for any aggravating features.

The frozen shoulder is not commonly seen with Cervical spondylosis though it can be associated with Biceps tendinitis. If you are diabetic or hypothyroid there are higher associations with Frozen shoulder.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad