How to overcome separation anxiety for children starting school or child care?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: for the last few days my 5 year old son has been crying a lot when my wife drops him off at school in the mornings he doesn't want to leave her. he has been going to preschool for last 2 years and has never had any problems. the teachers and principal have said he is back to his normal mood after my wife leaves. do you have any suggestions on how to handle this, or what might be causing it?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There can be a number of causes behind your child's anxiety

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Children of this age can face anxiety due to a number of reasons. The causes can be:
* Separation anxiety - The fear of separation can sometimes resurface. The relapse is often triggered by some specific event.
* Common fears - They are a product of your child's developing imagination along with his ability to predict. The phobias can be varied and abundant. Monsters under the bed. The neighbour's dog. The paddling pool at the park.
* It can also be associated with being teased, a fight with a friend, something someone told him that frightened him.
* Social anxiety - Timidity is extremely common among preschoolers. Some interact easily with other children but fall to pieces in the company of adult strangers.

The things that you need to do are:
* Acknowledge the fear - Your child's worries might be entirely normal, and denying them would be unrealistic. If he is afraid of losing you when he goes to school. Reassure him and tell him that you would always pick him up again.
* Reassure.
* Talk about it - Simply discussing a fear can make it seem less overwhelming.
* Help him boost his confidence and self-esteem. Try not to tell him to "stop being silly" or to "be a big boy". Forcing your child not going to do any good. At this age, he's better off conquering his fears at his own pace.
*Desensitize him. Reassurance will have its role.

The following link can be of help to you:
XXXX