How to identify a lyme disease rash?

Question
I have a rash on the inside of my lower legs after hiking in hot weather and I think it is possibly a heat rash, but one of the rashes is in the shape of an oval that has a red outer ring and in clear in the middle. My daughter who is a nurse said to keep an eye on it getting larger for possible Lyme disease, but there is no red circle in the center where a tick would have bit. Should I just keep an eye on it, call my dcotor in the morning or go into my local urgent care?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Presumtive treatment with doxycycline will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have read your query carefully and understand your concern,

As per your clinical data, the oval rash is not consistent with the rash of lymes disease. Lyme's disease rash more aptly called bull's eye rash, has central red ring surrounded by a clear circular white area. Your description does not fit into these characteristics.

An uploaded image of this rash can be helpful. If possible please upload good quality pictures of the affected region using the site's uploader.

But nevertheless,a watchful eye is needed. I suggest you observe the rash ,and in any case if it spreads circumferentially ,or you develop joint pains ,immediately report to your doctor.

Blood tests like IFA-immuno flurosence assay will be diagnostic for lymes disease.

In all doubtfull cases presumtive treatment with tab Doxycycline 100mg twice a day for 2 weeks can help to completely cure lymes disease in the early stages.

As far as the other rases(heat rashes) are concerned,they heal with time;silver sulphadiazine oit can help its healing.

I hope and wish this info is quite helpful and convincing to you.
Kindly rate my answer as a means of your valuable feedback.
Thank you,