How to control diabetes during pregnancy?
i am 7 months pregnant 8th is running now and having diabetes problem during third trimester so just wanted to know how can i control sugar level while i have to take fruits in this time.so which fruits i can take.
You can take fruits with low glycemic index.
These are my suggestions based on the question you have asked :
1. You need to restrict you overall calorie intake. Your calorie intake needs to be around 1600-1800 Kcal/day. You can use various Smartphone apps freely available on Google Play or iTunes for counting your daily calorie intake.
2. You need to take a fixed amount of carbohydrates in each meal. We generally suggest 30 grams of carbohydrates in each meal.
3. You can take fruits with low glycemic index. Avoid fuits with high or low glycemic index. Here are classification of foods based on glycemic index
Low Glycemic index– Apple, Orange, guvava
Medium Glycemic index- XXXXXXX banana, plum, black grapes , resins
High Glycemic index– Pineapple , Watermelon
There is a website called www.glycemicindex.com which can give you detailed list of glycemic index of various food substances. if you need some specific information on some specific fruit, you can check out the website.
Your blood sugar targets needs to be as follows:
1. Fasting blood sugar <95 mg/dl
2. 2 Hours post meal blood sugar <120 mg/dl
You can use a glucometer to check you blood sugar. In pregnancy we suggest 6 times blood sugar check - 3 times before meal and 3 times 2 hours after meal. Keep a chart of the same.
If you blood sugars are not in target range after 2 weeks of diet control then we generally add a medication called METFORMIN for blood sugar control.
Hope this helps and Good luck.
Dr. Om J Lakhani, MD
Department of Endocrinology
Sir XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Hospital
Fasting is fine, Post prandial a bit high but can be controlled with diet
Your fasting blood sugar is alright. Post-prandial is slightly high but not high enough to start medications. Continue the diet control as advised above and you would do just fine.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Will diabetes during pregnancy have effect on the baby
- Gestational diabetes during pregnancy symptoms
- Diabetes and pregnancy
- Is there any ayurvedic medicine for diabetes during pregnancy
- Symptoms of diabetes during pregnancy
- Diabetes during pregnancy
- Getting diabetes during pregnancy
- Gestational diabetes during pregnancy tender coconut
- Dua to control diabetes during pregnancy
- Diabetes during pregnancy sugar level 137
- Can Thyroxine be discontinued with a patient of normal TSH level?
- Suggest treatment for severe hair loss and irregular menstruation
- Is TSH level of 8.2 a cause for concern?
- Suggest remedies for vitamin D deficiency
- How to control diabetes during pregnancy?
- What do these calcium and serum magnesium levels indicate?
- What does my biopsy test report indicate?
- What does my Elisa test report indicate?
- What does mt thyroid test report indicate?
- What are the repercussions of taking extra dosage of Levothyroxine?