Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

How serious is BP reading of 168/85?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6186 Questions
I have been on High blood pressure medicine for years. I just took my readings and they are 168/85. Should I be concerned? I am 64 years old and overweight.
Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, take more readings! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this long standing high blood pressure and the recent reading. I know you are very much aware if the fact that this is out of the set goals for hypertension management. You are for sure worried about this but i would advice that you should not get disturbed by this. A single blood pressure measurement cannot provide enough information for us to make a reasonable conclusion and suggest changes. I will suggest that you take the blood pressure over 3days at least 6times and provide me with the readings so that I can analyze the trend and provide a more rounded opinion and suggestion. If there is one single thing that can help you so much right now, it would be to drop your weight. Please, reduce the amount of calories you eat daily and exercise more often to help drop some extra pounds. I hope this helps and addresses your query fully. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information if need be and clarifications. Thanks for using our services. I look forward to hear from you in 72hours! Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor