question-icon

How much time does it take for infants to recover from fever after immunization?

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018
Question: Hi Dr,

This question is for my 2.5months old kid.
She got her 10th week immunization done today morning .
Now (night) she is suffering from high fever 100~101.

I have given her ~1ml of pediatrics pcm right now.

Since morning I was giving 0.5ml twice per 6hrs.

My questions are as follow-

1. Does change of medicine affect baby's recovery time or health?

2. Is the dosage of PCM n crocing appropriate for her age?

3. How much time does it take for infants to recover from fever?

4. What are ghe precautions I should take to ensure her speedy recovery?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Fever is common after immunization and indicates development of immunity.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking on this platform.

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.

Fever is very common after vaccination, particularly after DPT(Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus). It is not a disease but indicates that body is responding to the vaccine and immunity is developing.

Most of the time this fever resolves within a day or two and symptomatic treatment(paracetamol only and sometimes ibuprofen if fever is not responding to paracetamol) is sufficient.

Paracetamol dose is 10-15 mg/kg/dose and it can be given at an interval of 4-8 hours depending on the severity. The total daily dose should not exceed 60 mg/kg/day.

You have mentioned that 1 ml of paracetamol is being given. I assume it is Paracetamol drop which contains 100 mg/ml.

The average weight of a baby at this age is about 4-5 kg. So the dose should be around 0.75 ml at an interval of 6 hours.

I won't get worried if you have given 1 ml of paracetamol as the dose at which side effects develop is much higher than this but the thing is that higher dose above 60 mg/kg/day does not give any additional benefit.

Awaiting for the information about the weight of the baby and also the detail of medicine so that I better able to help you out.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar, Pediatrician, Cardiology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain

Pediatrician, Cardiology