How much time does it take for infants to recover from fever after immunization?
This question is for my 2.5months old kid.
She got her 10th week immunization done today morning .
Now (night) she is suffering from high fever 100~101.
I have given her ~1ml of pediatrics pcm right now.
Since morning I was giving 0.5ml twice per 6hrs.
My questions are as follow-
1. Does change of medicine affect baby's recovery time or health?
2. Is the dosage of PCM n crocing appropriate for her age?
3. How much time does it take for infants to recover from fever?
4. What are ghe precautions I should take to ensure her speedy recovery?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Fever is common after immunization and indicates development of immunity.
Thanks for asking on this platform.
I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Fever is very common after vaccination, particularly after DPT(Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Tetanus). It is not a disease but indicates that body is responding to the vaccine and immunity is developing.
Most of the time this fever resolves within a day or two and symptomatic treatment(paracetamol only and sometimes ibuprofen if fever is not responding to paracetamol) is sufficient.
Paracetamol dose is 10-15 mg/kg/dose and it can be given at an interval of 4-8 hours depending on the severity. The total daily dose should not exceed 60 mg/kg/day.
You have mentioned that 1 ml of paracetamol is being given. I assume it is Paracetamol drop which contains 100 mg/ml.
The average weight of a baby at this age is about 4-5 kg. So the dose should be around 0.75 ml at an interval of 6 hours.
I won't get worried if you have given 1 ml of paracetamol as the dose at which side effects develop is much higher than this but the thing is that higher dose above 60 mg/kg/day does not give any additional benefit.
Awaiting for the information about the weight of the baby and also the detail of medicine so that I better able to help you out.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar, Pediatrician, Cardiology
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to recover from weakness after fever
- Immune system after glandular fever
- How to recover from dengue fever
- Infant fever after 2 month immunization
- How to recover frm weaknes after fever
- Frequent sinus infections having fever taking augmentin immunity so poor
- Tips how to recover from fever
- Typhoid immunity after fever
- Fever after taking biotin
- Fever after immunizations 12 months
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting