How long should medication be continued after suffering partial paralysis?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: My dad is 71 yrs now. He had got partial paralysis (5 yrs before) on the left side of his body. After lot of medication and physiotherapy his is able to do his work. He is under medication now and the Neurologist has asked to continue these medicines life time. Please let me know if we need to do an MRI again to know the exact status or blood clot or continuing the medicines is enough?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no need of Mri

Detailed Answer:
Your father has suffered a stroke. The cause of such episode is secondary to hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia, cardiac disorder, increasing age and some other uncommon reasons.
He need to have controlled blood pressure, sugar and cholesterol. Active lifestyle, no smoking, alcohol.
Life long treatment with blood thinner drugs are indicated in ischaemic stroke. Other drugs as required.
No need to do repeat Mri until new symptoms presents.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Wishing you and your family good health.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 11 minutes later
Dear Doc,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Please let me know what all exercises he needs to do to keep himself fit. He has issue in walking and walks slowly with stick.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
walking and physiotherapist guided exercises

Detailed Answer:
Hello rasna,
Best exercise is early morning walking. Physiotherapy of affected limb can be done by patient or relative under physiotherapist guidance. All joint movement of the limb are to made actively or passively to full extent.
Even online apps like strocit app for post stroke physiotherapy may be a guide.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist