Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

192 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How long does it take to recover after circumcision?

Answered by
Dr. Vineet Malhotra


Practicing since :1995

Answered : 41 Questions

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Dear Doctor,

I was circumcised for medical reasons on 29th December, 2012 at the age of 28 years. My doctor did a high and tight circumcision for me without removing the entire frenulum. However, I would have preferred to have the entire frenulum removed. Since the frenulum aids in improving the sexual activity of a man later in his life. I actually am left with only 10% of the frenulum intact (runs down from below the glans until the scar line only, which is about 1.5 cm above the glans).

In addition, the stitching made by the surgeon has caused an immense accumulation of the XXXXXXX foreskin above the glans and that the stitching is making me feel very uncomfortable, specifically during night time ejaculations. My doctor did advise that I cannot masturbate or have an erection during the next 10 days or so. Nevertheless, I have also been advised to take medication like Augmentin and Vitamin B capsules along with applying Neosporin antibacterial ointment on the entire shaft and penis including the sutured area vigorously to help the swelling buildup eventually degrade in the long run. I am not sure how long the healing would take place.

Therefore, I'd be really obliged if you could kindly give me a rough idea of how long would it take for my high and tight circumcision to ultimately heal and become normal? Also, do you think I should revisit my doctor in order to get the stitches removed or wait for them to get absorbed inside the skin of the penis? Please do let me know your thoughts. I know I've written a lot, but, I had to in some way explain my condition to you in the best possible way.
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 9 hours later

thank you for your query.

Circumcision may sometimes be associated with some redundant foreskin attached to the frenulum so as to avoid shortening as this may cause problems during erection.
I advise you to wait for the swelling to disappear and then ask your doctor to reassess the situation.
The healing usually takes about 10 days and things look very different then compared to what you are feeling now.
Please do not get your stitches removed early as that may interfere with healing.
I hope i have answered your query.
I will be happy to answer any other query that you may have.
Dr Vineet Malhotra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Vineet Malhotra 6 minutes later
But, then would the sutures get completely absorbed within the skin? I am feeling very uncomfortable as a result of the prickly stitching around the scar. So, I'd like to know what would be the best way to deal with this painful situation.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 13 hours later

Thanks again,

The stitches do get dissolved completely within 10-14 days.
In the meantime, you may apply soframycin ointment in adequate amount and use a sterile pad around the penis to avoid it from rubbing against the underclothes.

I hope this solves your problem.
Dr Vineet Malhotra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Procedures ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Frenulum

doctor1 MD

I had a penis frenuloplasty 4.5 weeks ago and I have a couple of questions. Firstly, there seem to be a couple tiny bumps (skin tissue?) at the top and bottom of the frenulum, is that normal? Secondly, when I pull the foreskin down initially it feels uncomfortable. I think its because the frenulum is a bit tough and it stretches out. Once it stretches out it feels completely fine and comfortable.

Age: 22
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 129 lbs

doctor1 MD

Im uncircumcised and during rough sex my frenulum broke in the condom and a ton of blood came out. it stopped bleeding 5 Minutes Later But Now My frenulum Is not attatched to the top of my penis, like it was before, will it heal or re-attatch? & how long will i have to wait to have sexual intercorse again? & If i Do will this happen again? Will i Bleed? Plz Help, im worried that mayb somethings wrong :( Thanks

doctor1 MD

Uhm, hi. I'm 14, not too long ago I noticed these little, hard spots on my penile frenulum. There are about 8-10 of these white spots. I have never had sex, though it may not be relivant, i do get sexual.
If you have any idea what these bumps are, could you please tell me, and tell me how to treat it myself without going to the doctors about it? Thanks.

doctor1 MD

Name Darragh Age 22 no past medical problems

i have torn my Frenulum from tip to bottom during sex, the skin i believe that used to be my Frenulum is now just attached to the actual foreskin. im worried it will not reattach, what would be the best course of action? this happen about two weeks ago and i am not in pain but i am concerned that it will hurt when i next have sex, thanks

doctor1 MD

I have a question about the penis frenulum . During sex the frenulum ripped and cause bleeding. Now it's no longer attached to the urethra . Will the frenulum heal and grow back to its normal state? Will this make it harder for me to ejaculate?

doctor1 MD

the patient had guided tissue regeneration 1.Bottom right of mouth – gums torn after a procedure in October 2017 –– I don’t want to leave my gums flapping around I was told by a periodontist that they will not heal properly that way and need to be...

doctor1 MD

Hi .i have very little skin attached to my pennis and i feel pain while having sex, while sexual inter coarse . it also got torn earlier while having anal sex now i feel pain in inserting pennis. How can i remove frenulum or make it elastic at...