How long does it take to recover after circumcision?

Dr. Vineet Malhotra

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Dear Doctor,

I was circumcised for medical reasons on 29th December, 2012 at the age of 28 years. My doctor did a high and tight circumcision for me without removing the entire frenulum. However, I would have preferred to have the entire frenulum removed. Since the frenulum aids in improving the sexual activity of a man later in his life. I actually am left with only 10% of the frenulum intact (runs down from below the glans until the scar line only, which is about 1.5 cm above the glans).

In addition, the stitching made by the surgeon has caused an immense accumulation of the XXXXXXX foreskin above the glans and that the stitching is making me feel very uncomfortable, specifically during night time ejaculations. My doctor did advise that I cannot masturbate or have an erection during the next 10 days or so. Nevertheless, I have also been advised to take medication like Augmentin and Vitamin B capsules along with applying Neosporin antibacterial ointment on the entire shaft and penis including the sutured area vigorously to help the swelling buildup eventually degrade in the long run. I am not sure how long the healing would take place.

Therefore, I'd be really obliged if you could kindly give me a rough idea of how long would it take for my high and tight circumcision to ultimately heal and become normal? Also, do you think I should revisit my doctor in order to get the stitches removed or wait for them to get absorbed inside the skin of the penis? Please do let me know your thoughts. I know I've written a lot, but, I had to in some way explain my condition to you in the best possible way.
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 9 hours later

thank you for your query.

Circumcision may sometimes be associated with some redundant foreskin attached to the frenulum so as to avoid shortening as this may cause problems during erection.
I advise you to wait for the swelling to disappear and then ask your doctor to reassess the situation.
The healing usually takes about 10 days and things look very different then compared to what you are feeling now.
Please do not get your stitches removed early as that may interfere with healing.
I hope i have answered your query.
I will be happy to answer any other query that you may have.
Dr Vineet Malhotra
Follow up: Dr. Vineet Malhotra 6 minutes later
But, then would the sutures get completely absorbed within the skin? I am feeling very uncomfortable as a result of the prickly stitching around the scar. So, I'd like to know what would be the best way to deal with this painful situation.

Thank you,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 13 hours later

Thanks again,

The stitches do get dissolved completely within 10-14 days.
In the meantime, you may apply soframycin ointment in adequate amount and use a sterile pad around the penis to avoid it from rubbing against the underclothes.

I hope this solves your problem.
Dr Vineet Malhotra