Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

How long does it take for the injury of the knee cap to heal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
I think I have a very tiny bone chip in below my knee cap, probably at the top of my XXXXXXX bone. When I was on my knees redoing a flooring project over a month ago, I heard a 'cracking' sound and my knee hurt. I dismissed it at the time cause I thought my knee just found a hard piece of dirt on the floor. But after several weeks, I still can't put pressure on that knee when I kneel on my knees. Movement is fine. When I feel around the area I feel a small 'something' move around and it is very sore. My question is, if it is a small chip, will it eventually heal if I wait it out or is it important enough to see a doctor and get it xrayed ... which I really don't want to do unless something serious could come of it. thank you
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 hours later

All the joint of the body contains fluid in to it.So is the knee joint.There are also various partitions in the knee joint.Fluid keeps moving from one to another. This fluid movement at time produces cracking sound.So it is likely the the click that you heard could shifting of fluid.

Now comes the pain part.There are times loose bodies in the knee joint and friction of it with other bones in the joint also produces clicking sound.When ever they are out of contact area means when bones slides and joint moves they do not come in contact they do not produce any pain.

But when there is pressure on them or in particular position when they come in contact with the moving bones they produces pain.

This description was given to your just to understand the mechanism of knee joint.

Another thing-there also something known as bursa,a type of cover which absorbed shocks and help in better movements.When ever there is inflammation of them,means whenever they come in regular pressure or some injury at times they become swollen and give rise to pain on pressure.

So in your case inflammation bursa (bursitis) is also possible.

So what you need to do is, avoid putting pressure on knee for some time, apply some ice or local analgesics over sore area which suits you and wait. In most of case the inflammation goes way when this care is taken. If pain is still there then only you need to take medicines for the same.

In case of loose body in the joint if it bother you much then you need x-ray and other investigation for the same. And ultimately that loose body can be removed. But I think you are not having that much difficulty right now should be fine with this.

Take care and feel free to ask if still something is not clear. I will try to solve your that query also.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor