How long does it take for Prednisone to get out of system?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello! I recently took a small burst of prednisone to clear up a cold/sinus infection that was lingering. I took 20mg each day for 3 days. I finished yesterday. My two questions: I have a marathon Sunday, will the effects of this drug be out of my system? And second- has my immune system been suppressed because of this? I would really hate to get sick before my run!
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely

Detailed Answer:
By Sunday, the drug effects will have likely worn out although it will not have fully exited your system. That will take a few more days beyond Sunday. However the immune suppressing effects that you are concerned about will have practically gone away by Sunday.
Moreover, a short duration of this nature does not have major effects on the immune system. It is extremely unlikely to make you prone to some infection due to weakening of your defences.
So in all likelihood you should be all right for your marathon on Sunday. All the very best