How long does bowel obstruction take to clear while on Gas X?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 2 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My brother has a partial bowel obstruction. We are trying to avoid the ER but am not sure what to do for him besides pedialyte and clear liquids. I've given him some Gas X. He has an ileostomy so I can see he has output and gas, he vomits a little bit when he drinks too fast.
How long generally does it take to clear if we are doing the right things ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further details needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I need to ask the reason for your assumption of partial bowel obstruction. I mean to ask the presentations that make you feel so. The fact that he has output and gas does not speak in favor of any obstruction. I therefore need to ask about the drainage from the proximal opening and irrigation from the distal opening of ileostomy. Based on your inputs I would be able to guide you further.

Let me know if I could help further.