How long does Vesicare take to show effect?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have been having terrible urinary/bladder problems for quite a while, but last year it has gotten worse. I had a cystoscopy done on the 13th of July this year, and since then have noticed that i feel worse. On follow up the urologist told me that they had cauterized something on my bladder and i believe had also stretched it and filled with some sort of fluid.
Before the procedure urine samples were taken and there was no infection.
The frequency and urgency is worse, to the point that it becomes so strong that i have had accidents where i couldn't make it to the bathroom in time. My urologist has prescribed Vesicare 5mg but at the moment i don't feel any change at all.
When i told the urologist that i felt worse, he said it takes time to settle down, but i am so bad at the moment i am going to the bathroom every hour or so. I am concerned it won't settle down, and why the Vesicare isn't working or does it take longer to work and longer for the bladder to return to normal after something like a cystoscopy.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to increase the dose and repeat urinalysis

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems as if you are suffering from a condition called overactive bladder. Vesicare is known to work with promising results in such conditions. It usually takes few hours to start it's action but it may take few weeks for the bladder muscles to get toned up for the new filling and emptying habbits.

If significant effects are not achieved by 5mg then the dose may be increased upto 10mg after discussing with your urologist and carefully looking for all the precautions and any other contraindication in your case.

Other causes such as urinary tract infection should also be looked into and a urinalysis may be repeated to see any puss cells and that should also be treated accordingly.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards. .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar