Suggest medication for overactive bladder

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have overactive bladder and I need to know what meds to take. My email address is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Overactive bladder

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

If a specific cause of overactive bladder is identified then it should be treated for example a UTI or atrophic urethritis would require antibiotics and topical oestrogen application respectively.

As you are already using tolterodine beta 3 agonist such as mirabegron can be added or used as an alternative if the symptoms arent controlled with tolterodine alone. TCA like amitryptiline can also be added to this regimen.

Peripheral Tibial nerve stimulation therapy or intravesicular injection of botulinum toxin are other therapies than that can be considered in consultation with urologist if oral therapy alone does not lead to significant improvement.

Wishing you best of health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 2919 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Oral therapy

doctor1 MD

Hi, My daughter is suffering from slight pain on the upper eye lid. There is minor swelling too. I have attached image with this request. Please...

doctor1 MD

I pulled a muscle in my lower back, went to the ER and was put on 60mg prednisone 3 times a day. I took for one day and stopped because of severe...

doctor1 MD

I am 81 years old.I had hip surgery in January, 2013 I now have bursitis in the right hip and lower back. The pain goes down to my thigh and to my...

doctor1 MD

Hello. I am a 48 year old female. I have a small cyst-like bump on my perineum about 1/2 an inch below my vaginal opening and slightly to the left....

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

176 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction