Suggest medication for overactive bladder

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have overactive bladder and I need to know what meds to take. My email address is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Overactive bladder

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

If a specific cause of overactive bladder is identified then it should be treated for example a UTI or atrophic urethritis would require antibiotics and topical oestrogen application respectively.

As you are already using tolterodine beta 3 agonist such as mirabegron can be added or used as an alternative if the symptoms arent controlled with tolterodine alone. TCA like amitryptiline can also be added to this regimen.

Peripheral Tibial nerve stimulation therapy or intravesicular injection of botulinum toxin are other therapies than that can be considered in consultation with urologist if oral therapy alone does not lead to significant improvement.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad