How long do withdrawal symptoms of Oxytocin last?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 in Pain Management
Question: My father is 70 years old and he was prescribed Oxytocin 30 mg which he took 3 pills daily because of his gout and diabetes type 2 damage that he has in his foot and elbow. He was on the drug for a couple of months but has for the last week gone cold turkey and stopped taking it all together. How long do the withdrawal symptoms last and when will he feel better. He suffers from chills and hot flashes, feels like he has the flu, he also experiences stomach pain and discomfort, has low energy and feels depressed. Is easily irritated and cant stand still. He doesn't want to take the drug anymore because of the side effects and is afraid of being addicted to them, which he fears that he already is. What can he do and what other drugs can he use instead Oxytocin for his gout and is restless legs syndrome?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
the acute withdrawal is going to be mostly gone

Detailed Answer:
by 5 to 7 days.
Many many things to say:
1) the withdrawal symptoms peak by 2-4 days after stopping short acting narcotics and dwindle down by 7 days.
2) there are many many ways that the discomfort may be minimized without any addictive substances. Any nausea medicine including ginger ale and over the counter medicines can be helpful for the nausea. Clonidine... a prescription blood pressure medicine... damps down the withdrawal symptoms including shakes and sweats.
3) there are much better pain medicines for gout pain and narcotics are never the first choice. Indomethacin is very effective on the pain AND stops the gout attack in most.
4) there are several medicines that are non-narcotic that might help on diabetic nerve pain but none is even 50/50 likely to work. Anything that is a nerve pill might damp down nerve pain this includes drugs with lidocaine like effects (amitryptiline) lidocaaine patches, and anti-epileptic drugs like gabapentin and pregabalinn.
Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
What kind of dosage would you recommend for my father to take concerning the medicine Lyrica and wont he become addicted to the drug as he has become of Oxytocin? He hasn't taken the drug, (Oxytocin) for 7-9 days now and he is frightened that his detoxicated system will be distrubed all over again by the drug Lyrica. He doesn't want to experience the withdrawal symptoms all over again.
What kind of medical advice can you give him doctor?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different class of medicines

Detailed Answer:
While pregabalin (lyrica) has been (uncommonly) reported to have addiction and withdrawal, it is an anti-epileptic with some additional (mild) valium like effects. While withdrawal and even seizures have been reported with discontinuation of pregabalin, this is uncommon.
It is a different drug with different effects than narcotics. It is not close to guaranteed to work in diabetic neuropathy. If it doesn't work, then use of it for under a week is very unlikely to cause addiction nor withdrawal. If it does work, then the risk might be worth it. These are general comments and prescribing and more specific information would have to come from a doctor examining the patient.