How long can sperm live in the urethra after ejaculation?

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Men's Health
Question: How long does sperm in urethra live after ejaculation if urination does not happen within the next few hours
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Residual sperms are washed out by next urination.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, studies suggest viability may not be more than next urination or one hour. Reason is, urine is acidic,and ammonia in urine, is also an added factor for destruction of the sperms, remaining in the urethra.
Hope your doubt is cleared.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 6 minutes later
Yes but if you dont urinate after ejaculation what happens to it?
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Life-span of about one hour only.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
As mentioned earlier, it's life-span in the urethra, is about one hour only, due to local hostile environment.
Hope your doubts are cleared now.