Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

How is urethritis prevented ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
My husband has a white, sticky gelatin like substance coming out of the head of his Penis and it burns afterward. There is no odor. He's been tested for STD's and has come out clean.He has no blood work comes back clean.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.

Your husband is having white, gelatin like discharge from the penis and after passing the discharge there is burnings sensation. The symptoms can be due to urethritis like non gonococcal urethritis which is caused by non gonorrheal infections like Chlamydia, Ureaplasma urealyticum, Haemophilus vaginalis, and Mycoplasma genitalium.

Because there are often no symptoms, people who are infected may not know that they are having this infection. Although your husband has had STD testing, yet it is possible to get false positive or false negative results with the standard tests for Chlamydia. Hence it would be wise to repeat the tests.

Else you can opt for specific tests for Chlamydia which include Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT, to find the genetic material of Chlamydia), Nucleic acid hybridization tests (DNA probe test, Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA, EIA), Direct fluorescent antibody test (DFA) or chlamydia culture.

Your also need to be tested for Chlamydia. If this is positive then either you caught the infection from him or gave him the infection. Most people are symptomless and may unknowingly pass on the infection to their partner.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor