How is tuberculosis spread from person to person?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: What is the likelihood I contracted tb from a patient.Night sweats chill,no fever,unproductive cough
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it should be a close and long contact

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern

Usually a subject might be contaminated with tb if he/she is in a long time in contact with patients with tb.

This is mostly for medical personnel who works in the hospital.Other groups are in risk to be infected with tb such as people with comorbidities especially in low income countries or immunosuppressive patients (who takes steroids for a long time ).

Nevertheless the close contact should be long (for example 2-4 weeks ) and the person with tb should be in the active phase too.

According to the history you provide i don't think you might have tb.However if you want you can give me some more info regarding and i will help you more.

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 9 minutes later
What could be other causes of night sweats and chill?We were wearing N95 MASKS.No fever,non productive cough slight.None of the other teams reported any symptoms.6 pound weight loss since XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
There are a lot of diseases that might cause night sweats and chill (like pnemonia,tb,brucelosis, heart problems, rheumatologic problems )

If you think that you might be contaminated by tb you should be examined for it.

You should do PPD skin test and Quantiferon alpha blood test.

A chest X Ray too.

According to the results will be the follow-up.

Dr.Jolanda