Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

How is nerve compression and irritation treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12784 Questions
Hi, I have been diagnosed with GAD, I have been on meds for the past 7 months with absolutely no symptoms are pain/burning sensation from neck down the back and arms, sometimes numbness in fingers, unexplained shakiness in the morning (same time everyday), feeling like i want to sleep all of the time (think that is the result of the meds), no depression, no loss of interest, I want to feel better. Testing I have had done,,,MRI, normal....hormones, normal...Xray of neck, normal....blood work(whatever that is) normal...I am very frustrated and need a second opinion.
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

The pain and burning sensation from neck down the arms and upto the fingers is suggestive of a neural ( nerve compression or nerve irritation related) cause. Even if the X-ray of neck is normal, still the nerve involvement symptoms may be there due to soft tissue swelling or due to inflammation in the nerve itself.

These neural pains are a challenging thing to treat as careful examination is needed to ascertain the level of nerve involvement. You can take some anti-inflammatory and analgesic like acetaminophen after discussing about this with your physician and till you see your neurophysician.

To overcome the excessive sleepy feeling during daytime, you can change the kolonipin to some better option with lesser day time sedation after consulting with your physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor